I wanted to make a quilt for Holly Paino
, another RedBubble friend, so I kept pushing her until she agree to let me make this one I have been wanting to make for a long time. Maybe now I will find the guts and the time to tackle it! Couldn't be more excited about it!! Do check out Holly's amazing charcoal portraits including her latest, none other than The Smiling Quilter
. (Well, it was the latest but time moves on...) She
does her drawings and then gives them to the subject free of charge! Lots of them! She refuses to make them available for purchase though she could easily through RedBubble. So I want to do something just for Holly in the same spirit!I will be doing the cover quilt from the Not Your Grandmother's Log Cabin
book. The quilt top pattern is called "Will O' Wisp" (WOW for short) and will be 47" x 54". I purchased this amazing book two years ago and the special ruler needed to make the 60 degree angles. I originally thought I would use some of the gorgeous batiks that have been on my SOON
page quite awhile. Both the book and the fabrics were instant favorites. The more I considered these, the more I wasn't so sure!!Oh dear!! I needed my daughter's help/eye with this one & help I got! Change of plans!!
How my daughter can, in 5 minutes or so, say hand me that bolt, and that one, no put that one aside, etc. and come up with this new plan, amazes me. She does it time and again. Took me far longer to cut the yardage than it did her to design the quilt!! I guess that is why she and Kelley own a quilt shop and I mostly longarm. I usually only piece what she suggests. LOL. Like daughter, not like mother.
After playing with the EQ7
software all week, repeatedly crashing the program because my design was too complex and then resorting to a complex cutting and pasting nightmare using a combination of Paint & Excel, I finally emailed EQ tech support. The next afternoon, I got back a layout they drew with their elaborate drawing tools I don't have. After a brief phone call today (1/13), I learned how to use it for this quilt. I have deleted all the options I had posted leaving on the one I decided to make.
Jan 27-28: Cut out all the chimneys and logs.
Feb 11: Piecing has begun! On the first of the triangles, the seams didn't nest like they need to so I had to rip (ever so gently) some partial seams to remedy that. Done.
Feb 12: On the second set of triangles, I got one set of logs on the wrong side of the chimney triangle. I caught the error as I started the second row of logs, ripped the necessary seams and will sew them correctly tomorrow. The good news is I am confident I will make less goofs as I go along. I know now that I can do this quilt. All I need is time and patience. It is pretty darn kool in every aspect.
Feb 14: Second set of six triangle blocks is done
Feb 17: Third set is eight triangle blocks is done
Feb 20: Fourth set of 22 triangle blocks is done
Feb 21: Fifth set of 12 diamond blocks is done
We do have a lot of fun bantor....
Feb 27: Assembled blocks into 6 large triangle wedges
Mar 01: DONE! The top is in one piece!
Mar 20: Borders are on, Backing is ready
Mar 27: Sandy and I are working on a custom IQ pattern.
Mar 28: Finalized our IQ pattern
Mar 29: Removed & trimmed borders to get rid of waves Mar 30: Borders re-attached. Loaded. Quilting
halted. Slight IQ pattern glitchMar 31: Glitch fixed with not just one, but two, IQ pattern options.Apr 01: QUILTING DAY !!!!! Had a bit of foolish fun with Holly!Apr 02: It is officially a QUILT !!Apr 08: Binding is attached & have started hand binding.Apr 09: FINISHED!